Thursday, May 16, 2019

Global Scholars Year Reflection

Reflecting on my experience in the Global Scholars program, I have to say it began my sophomore year, when, while reading The Sympathizer in English class, I was recruited interview the Pulitzer Prize-winning author, Viet Thanh Nguyen, when he came to speak at Poly. Getting the chance to speak with a literary idol of mine and a renowned global writer was truly unforgettable, especially at a time when I was beginning to discover my own passion for memoir writing. On that day, I decided that when I became a senior, I would join Poly's Global Scholars program.

It has truly been one of the most unforgettable, life-changing experiences of my Poly career. Though I thoroughly enjoyed our speakers, from Reza Azlan and Jessica Jackley to Robert English and Kalyanee Mam, the most transformative part of my Global Scholars experience was without a doubt my grant proposal project. Having worked at Inquilinos Unidos over the summer, seeing both the profound good they do for their community and the extreme lengths to which they go to make ends meet, I was really moved merely by the opportunity to financially support them in a significant way. The work the Tenant Leadership Academy is doing to empower the community cannot be overestimated.

Without a doubt, though, bringing the Leadership Academy to Poly for my bilingual panel discussion, "The Housing Crisis: Affordable Cities Start in Your Backyard," was my favorite moment. Though they came late (trouble with the bus we chartered), when I saw the 40-or-so of them, who I'd only ever seen in Pico Union, march in with their shirts and signs, I knew I had done something significant.

Every step of the way, from that first summer meeting to our regular weekly seminars and the time I spent working on my proposal with all of my fellow Global Scholars and friends, was valuable. Not to mention the doors the program has opened for me in recent weeks, from talking housing in Spanish  with Ruben Tapia on Enfoque Latino at KPFK headquarters to talking political upheaval with Werner Herzog at his screening of Meeting Gorbachev at the Nuart. I'm so happy I had the opportunity to be a Global Scholar, and I want to do everything I can to support the program in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Global Scholars Year Reflection